《丑女贝蒂》:父母总会偏爱孩子

2013-01-07 00:00:00来源:可可英语

  台词欣赏:

  Alexis: What are we drinking to?

  我们为了什么而举杯

  Wilhelmina: To a father who realizes his child will never compare to the one he lost.

  为一个明白眼前的孩子永远没有他所失去的那个父亲好

  And to a son who knows he'll never measure up, no matter how hard he tries.

  让他知道无论他有多努力他的儿子永远都不会达标

  Alexis: It's practically Shakespearean.

  真有几分莎士比亚的味道

  Wilhelmina: As long as there's this wedge between the two of them, their relationship is doomed.

  只要他们之间有了磕磕碰碰 他们的关系肯定破裂

  Daniel's time at the magazine and ultimately, the company will be limited.

  Daniel待在杂志社的时间 乃至在公司都会被限制

  Alexis: Well, perhaps it's time I drive that wedge a little deeper.

  或许是时候让矛盾扩大些了

  What would Daniel think——if he were tipped off as to what his dear old father were capable of?

  如果向Daniel透露点关于他亲爱的爸爸的事 他会做何感想

  Daniel: Hey, what if we shrink the magazine down so women can fit it in their purses easier?

  嘿 如果缩小杂志尺寸 女士们很容易就能把它装进手袋 这个主意怎么样

  See, now, Alex would've made that. He should be the one here doing this, not me. At least my father would be happier.

  听着 要是Alex还在的话 在这儿的肯定是他 不是我 至少我爸爸也会高兴点

  Betty: If your father didn't think you could do this job, then why would he give it to you?

  如果你爸爸认为你干不了 那为什么他要让你来接管

  Daniel: Is this Kung Pao Chicken or, or orange beef?

  这个是宫保鸡丁还是茄汁牛肉

  Betty: Well, after five hours, Daniel, I... I don't really think it matters.

  已经过去五个小时了 Daniel 我 我认为那无关紧要

  Daniel:You know what next Saturday is?

  你知道下个礼拜六是什么日子吗

  The Harvard Yale game. Biggest college football game of the year.

  是哈佛和耶鲁的比赛 一年之中最盛大的大学橄榄球赛

  Betty: You want me to try and get you tickets?

  要我帮你搞到票子

  Daniel: You know, every year since we were kids, my father would take Alex to that game.

  你知道吗 从孩提时代起 爸爸他每年都会带着Alex去看比赛

  It was their——their thing. He never once invited me.

  那是属于他们的 他们的比赛

  You know, I actually thought after Alex died, he was gonna ask me to go, but... It's okay. I'm used to it.

  他从来都没邀请过我 我以为Alex死了 他就会邀我去 可是这没什么 我习惯了

  Every parent has a favorite, right?

  所有的父母都有偏爱的孩子 不是吗

  Betty: Well, you know, my dad doesn't.

  嗯 我爸爸不会这样

  Daniel: Sure, he does. I mean, they all do.

  他当然会 我的意思是他们都会那样

  Sometimes it's, uh, something small, but you can see it, you know?

  有时候是一些很小的事 但你还是可以感觉到 不是吗

  They, uh, smile a little brighter when one of you walks in the room... laugh a little louder when one of you tells a joke.

  他们会对其中一个笑得更甜一点 会为其中一个讲的笑话笑得更多一点

  drink to: 举杯

  Let me drink to your health.

  让我为你的健康干杯。

  compare to: 相比较

  Eg. Compare to the city, the country looks like the world without its clothes on.

  比起城市,乡村看上去好似没有穿上衣服的世界。

  Eg. Compare to other vehicle, car is really quite convenient.

  同其他车辆相比,汽车确实很方便。

  Eg. Can you tell me how this compare to that?

  你能告诉我这个和那个比较起来如何?

  measure up: 符合,达到标准

  Eg. In sports he did not measure up to his younger brother.

  在体育方面,他比不上他弟弟。

  Eg. Lei Feng never ceased trying to measure up to his ideal.

  雷锋努力按这个理想去做,从不停息。

  Eg. If she doesn't measure up to the job, she'll just have to leave.

  她如果不能胜任这一工作,就只得走人。

  no matter: 不管什么情况

  Eg. Day in, day out, no matter what the weather is like, she walks ten miles.

  她不管天气如何,每天总是不间断地步行十英里。

  Eg. No matter what the results of the homemade gift look like, remember it's the thought that counts.

  不论自制礼物的结果看起来像什么,心意才是重要。

  Eg. No matter how hard he works, he can not get a promotion.

  不管他工作多努力,他就是得不到提升。

  as long as: 只要

  Eg. He came in with a face as long as a fiddle and said it was raining again.

  他拉长着脸进来说,又下雨了。

  Eg. I don't mind as long as it doesn't rain.

  只要不下雨就行了。

  Eg. As long as you drive carefully, you will be very safe.

  如果你开车小心,你就会很安全。

  tip off: 泄露,透露

  Eg. Did Nancy want him to tip off the IRS confidentially?

  南希是否希望他秘密地向国内税收局通个风?

  Eg. Greg tipped police off about a drunk driver.

  格雷格向警方报告了一名酒后驾车司机。

  Eg. Someone unknown tipped off the police about the plan to rob the bank.

  一匿名者向警方报告有人打算抢银行。

  Eg. Frank tipped me off about a good bargain.

  弗兰克把一笔赚钱买卖的消息透露给我。

  at least: 至少

  Eg. She's completely homeless at least I have my parents to fall back on.

  她是真正无家可归--我至少有父母可依靠。

  Eg. The mark-up on food in a restaurant is usually at least 100%.

  餐馆食物的成本加价率通常至少是100%.

  Eg. She may be slow but at least she's reliable.

  她迟钝是迟钝,但无论如何她很可靠。

本文关键字: 丑女贝蒂,美剧

更多>>
更多课程>>
更多>>
更多内容

英语学习资料大礼包

加微信免费领取电子版资料

生活口语流利说
更多>>
更多公开课>>
更多>>
更多课程>>